According to a UCLA study, 4.9 million people in California believe that they require help for a psychological or mental health problem. Researchers from the UCLA have also found that about one million people in California are suffering from symptoms related to serious psychological distress and complicated mental health disorders.
Mental health services are mostly dependent on government organizations and other mental health professionals, such as nurses, psychiatrists, counselors, and psychologists. Usually these services include support groups for mental wellbeing, early psychosis teams, self-help groups, halfway houses, assertive community treatment, and local medical services. Mental health services are also available through world health organization advocates, charitable organizations, or psychiatric hospitals.
These services also include psychiatric wards, local primary care medical services, clubhouses or day centers, and supported housing with partial or full supervision facilities available for people who are suffering from mental illness.
Mental health services are needed to treat the following problems:
- Mood disorders: People who are suffering from this type of problem feel mood swings, including extreme anger, happiness, or sadness. The mood of the person changes quickly and can be the result of just anything. The most common mood disorders include bipolar disorders and depression.
- Anxiety disorders: A person’s response to certain situations results in nervousness or fear. This includes post-traumatic stress disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and phobias like claustrophobia.
- Personality disorders: An individual experiences strange personality traits. Paranoid personality disorders and antisocial personality disorders are two common examples.
- Impulse control disorders: A person who is affected may indulge in acts that may harm themself or others. Stealing, compulsive gambling and spur to start fires are some examples of impulse control disorders.
- Substance abuse disorders: The persons are addicted to take substances like inhalants, alcohol and drugs. This addiction results in a neglect of daily works and responsibilities.
- Psychotic disorders: Such patients normally experience hallucinations, such as hearing things or seeing things that are not real in nature. Besides this, a person may experience things opposite to reality and delusions, such as Schizophrenia
- Eating disorders: This type of illness normally affects adolescents and persons who are related to beauty industry. Persons suffering from eating disorders are over-conscious about their self image and weight. It involves bulimia nervosa, binge eating, and anorexia nervosa.
The treatment of these problems is often limited to the physical and mental expressions of the individual; however, a lot of Christian counselors, ministers, and professional experts treat such disorders through awakening the affected person about religion. A lot of people who are suffering with these distressing problems have turned themselves toward the worship of the God, with the help of mental health services, ministries, or Christian counseling, which motivate people to control their addictions, behaviors, and undesirable mind-set.